Friday, August 19, 2011

way down south

After a marathon of traveling I made it Don Khon, the land of 4,000 Islands in the southern most part of Laos.  And boy oh boy, was it worth it!  Brought in by a dugout, wooden, long boat, I arrived in my bungalow after weaving through a labyrinth of tiny islets, passing by sleepy riverside towns where no cars (except for motorbikes) are allowed and the pace of life is intoxicatingly slow.  I loved it here immediately.

A small island, Don Khon is what I've been hoping for in Laos, and in Asia in general.  Untouched by tourism so that its still unspoiled but keyed in enough that it has all your basic needs... Don Khon is a true gem.  Once on the island there's a small strip of restaurants and guest houses that's quickly lost to the locals' farms.  I found a nice little spot on the northern side of the island where I have a little bungalow floating on top the river with a hammock out on the front deck overlooking its neighboring and more popular island, Don Det.

I arrived here in the morning and as soon as I could I got my hands on a bike to start exploring the island... After getting lost in rice paddy fields and getting found watching fisherman do they're thing on the river, I think I found one of my favorite spots of the trip so far.  Lucky lady I am. While I could stay here a long time I have to leave and head back to Bangkok where Vasae and I will be reunited to head to the islands in the Gulf of Thailand, yay!



No comments:

Post a Comment