Friday, December 2, 2011

sumbawa

One more island further East in Indonesia, Sumbawa is known as a serious surfers island. Why am I going then? Good question. Better answer: to lay on the beach.


After hitchhiking my way across this island and finally getting to a beach, I landed in the mining town of Maluk. I should have done my homework a bit better. I arrived at night (normally something I avoid at all costs) and could not find anywhere to stay that wasn't asking for a ridiculous amount of money. After asking around I finally found a lively little place that was nice enough so I settled in for the night.  I immediately changed rooms after the first had more cockroaches than I could handle and the secind had a  faucet that actually delivered running water. It gets better. Turns out this lively little place cranks up around 11pm when I swear there was a competition between the neighboring bars to see who could play their karaoke music the loudest. It's alright, I have earplugs. I fell asleep for about one golden hour only to awake to sounds that earplugs unfortunately cannot drown out. I'll spare you the details but I realized, real quick, that I had basically checked myself into a brothel. Awesome. Needless to say I didn't get too much sleep and checked out as fast as I could the next morning, after taking the equivalent of about 9 showers. I guess that's what I get for being a cheap ass.


Luckily the next spot, Sekongkang is home to these beautiful beaches (and wonderfully safe, clean and cheap bungalows). I met some great people that were wonderful company on this nearly deserted part of the island. Here got in some serious practice at becoming a good beach goer.


After a few days of practice and checking out the other parts/ beaches of the island I became impressed with my new found ability. It's amazing how enjoyable doing nothing is. As ridiculous as this may sound, I have a point. Those of you who know me best know that I'm not so good at not being busy. My mind is constantly spinning with thoughts of what I need to do, should be doing, could be planning, etc... Being still is a lesson I will consistently have to relearn. These beaches showed me that I am a quickly progressing student :)


To my defense, a large part of why I am lazying around all day is because I'm killing time (in the best way possible, I agree) until my wonderful cousin, Catherine, and her lovely boyfriend, Ben come to Bali. I have been so flipping excited about them getting here I can hardly stand it! They have been making plans to go travel for awhile now and the universe smiled on us when we realized our travel dates coincided. I feel lucky beyond belief to be able to share this amazing experience and country with them. Just a few more days and I meet them back in Kuta, Lombok!

No comments:

Post a Comment